Primary Focus & Experience
Courtney’s practice focuses on land use and environmental permitting, administrative appeals and litigation. She provides strategic advice and advocacy to achieve her clients’ land use entitlement goals and successful resolution of land use litigation matters. Courtney also serves as a mediator to facilitate early and lasting resolution of land use disputes.
Recent Significant Engagements
- Obtaining a decision requiring additional environmental analysis prior to a city’s adoption of transportation impact fees.
- Obtaining a decision extending a shoreline permit crucial to a client’s hotel development in a matter of first impression.
- Exemption from burdensome new regulations allowing a client to continue to operate their short term rental business.
Recognition & Community Involvement
- WSBA Land Use and Environmental Mediation Committee
- Chair, 2011-Present
- WSBA Environmental and Land Use Law (ELUL) and Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Sections
- ADR Section Chair 2017-2018
- Washington Mediation Association
- Board Member 2011-2014, President, 2012-2013
- King County Interlocal Conflict Resolution Group
- UW Professional Mediation Skills Program 2009
Speaking Engagements & Publications
- Assessing the Role of SEPA in the Modern Regulatory Era, Growth Management Act Conference, November 2019.
- Recent Experiences and New Twists on the Interaction of SEPA and GMA in the Urban Environment, Hearing Examiner’s Association of Washington 2018 Annual Conference, October 2018
- Land Use Appeals and Settlement, University of Washington College of Built Environments, May 2018, 2017 and 2015
- Land Use Permitting, University of Washington Foster School of Business, April 2019, 2018 and 2016
- Land Use Appeals, University of Washington School of Law, April 2017
- Short Term Rental: Bane or Benefit, Hearing Examiner’s Association of Washington 2016 Annual Conference, October 2016
- You Can’t Always Get What You Want But if You Try You Might Get What You Need (Mediation and Negotiation in Land Use Disputes), 2016 Environmental and Land Use Law Midyear Conference, May 2016
- Flexible Processes in Public Policy Mediation: Land Use Case Studies, Washington Mediation Association Fall Conference, October 2015
- Mediation and Voluntary Resolution of Environmental, Natural Resource, and Land Use Conflicts, Washington Real Property Deskbook, 2015
- Innovative ADR Strategies to Solve Multiparty Conflicts, King County Bar Association, February 2015
- Saint Mary’s College of California, B.A., summa cum laude, 1991
- Hastings College of the Law, J.D., 1994
- State Bar of California, 1994
- Washington State Bar Association, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 1995
- United States District Court, W. Dist. Wash., 2000